Skip to main content

Why are you here?





I didn’t expect to see anyone else here. 
I’m Mary, Mary of Magdala. I’m supposed to be meeting my friends here to finish preparing the body of Jesus. 
You know, Jesus. 
He was supposed to be our Savior, the one who would save Israel.

I guess you heard what happened. Is that why you’re here?

You know, we never dreamed it would really happen, even though he kept telling us it would be so.
He may have broken the rules sometimes, but he  didn’t do anything wrong, not really. He only did good, the whole time I knew him, the whole time he was alive.  
He was the most loving person I’ve ever known in my life. 
He was like my brother, and I, his sister.

I can’t believe he’s really gone.

Friday was so exhausting, so terrifying, so…sad. 
And yesterday, well, it was the longest day of my life, knowing that I couldn’t come here and take care of his body like I needed to. It was such a contrast with Friday, so…silent. It was a terrible day. But at least I knew that Joseph of Arimathea and Nicodemus did what they could do in such a short amount of time. They really stepped up, even though they weren’t actually disciples…at least not in public. It took a lot of courage for them to do what they did for Jesus.

And I feel so comforted that there is no way that grave robbers could possibly have come and taken His body. Not with that stone across the entrance. I’m thankful for that. And the other women and I, well, we got everything together, all the spices and the oils, we did that on Friday, but couldn’t get back here before the Sabbath began. So we didn’t have time to come and properly prepare His body on Friday. 
And yesterday, well, we rested, as it is written. 
We obeyed the law.

Rested?
I didn’t want to rest, even though I was very tired, and still am. I don’t have rest in my soul. There was no peace on that Sabbath Day, none at all. So here I am, bright and early. I couldn’t sleep anyway. I’ve got to get to the tomb, I’ve got to get there to prepare the body of My Lord. I really need to hurry. I don’t want him to stink any more than he has to, I don’t want his body to be any worse than it should be, though I’m sure it is bad enough, what with all the beating and torture he went through.
And His mother, Mary…well, I don’t know how she stayed there. 
And the disciple he loved…the only male disciple who stayed...it was hard, hard for all of us.

I just have to tell you, I’m so confused.
Oh, I know that Jesus was the Son of God. I’m not confused by that at all. I know that with every fiber of my being, deep down in my heart.

You see, He healed me.
I was sick. I had seven demons inside of me. Seven terrible demons. And though everyone else gave up on me, Jesus never did. 
He healed me. 
Those demons are long gone. 
And from that time, I followed Him. And I helped Him, along with the others. That’s why I’m here.

But I’m confused about why they killed him. Why he had to die, why the people chose him to die and not the others.

And why are you here again?
Did you know Him?
Did you ever meet Him?
Did He heal you too?

I’m sorry. It’s been good talking to you, but I have to go. I have work to do, work for the One whom I loved and who loved me. He would love you too, if you had met him.

In fact, He loved everybody, even those who murdered him.

He may have been killed, but I know He was still the Son of God, and He deserves a proper burial. He deserves at least that, my one last offering to Him who saved me, who healed me. 
You know, I just can’t believe that this is the end.
Shalom.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The First Thing

The first thing I ever remember doing in church was singing. And the first song I remember is, “Are You Washed in the Blood.” I remember sitting in a church pew in the little church where I was raised, (and my mother before me), with my mama and grandmama at a Decoration Day (homecoming) service. The preacher yelled and hollered and his face turned really red, and I thought he was going to jump over the altar rail! And I asked my mother, “Mama, why is he so mad?” I didn’t enjoy his message. But I did like the singing! “Have you been to Jesus for the cleansing pow’r...Are you washed in the blood of the Lamb?” Being washed in blood didn’t even seem gross to me. The woman who played the piano had a tendency to bang on it a little too loud, and the man who led singing sometimes sang off key, but it didn’t matter to my little 3-year-old self. I loved singing with them, and I loved singing with everyone else. The brown paperback Favorite Songs and Hymns was well-worn, and the pages felt s

Dust to Dust

I enjoy walking with my dog, Coal, in the cemetery of my church which is a few hundred yards from my house. It has recently been blacktopped and is very convenient, and has plenty of room for my dog to run without getting into trouble. As I walk, I enjoy looking at tombstones. This is something that has always intrigued me, even as a child. I like to imagine the stories behind those who are buried there. I have always enjoyed history, so I find it interesting to look at the stones and imagine what life was like during earlier times. I see families who are buried next to one another, the death years too close to the birth years. The mothers and fathers, the children who were born and died the same day or year. The baby who was born and died soon after, a few years back, but the parents who were unable to afford a tombstone for her until just recently. The graves that are decorated a little like gaudy store window displays, because the ones remaining here on earth are at a loss about

Who I Am

So, who am I? Well, that’s complicated. I’m a daughter, a sister. I’m a cousin. I’m a wife, a mother, and a grandma. I’m a Christian, a sinner saved by grace. I’ve been a Licensed Local Pastor for The United Methodist Church since 2014. In the big scheme of things, I’ve been a pastor for a relatively short time, I know. I’m still learning. I’m still figuring it out. So, I thought I would chronicle my life as a daughter, sister, cousin, wife, mother, grandma, Christian,  pastor. It’s not always entertaining, exciting or pretty. Just like me!  But it is what it is. Welcome.